Erasmus Smith School

Project
Erasmus Smith School
Location
Cahir, Co. Tipperary
Project Value
1,300,000

The project was for the conversion of the Erasmus Smith School as Council area offices.

The two-roomed school, erected in 1818 was funded by the Erasmus Smith Trust. He was a Cromwellian adventurer who bequeathed his fortune for the furtherance of education.

Designed by John Nash (1752-1835), the “architect royal, under the patronage of the Earl of Glengall.

Until 1963 a school, used since as sawmills, steelworks, railway museum and warehouse.

When surveyed the interior had been removed and had falling dampness, settlement and defective stonework.

A tight budget of Euro 1,250,000 was set. The programme was 45 weeks, but most important was the proper conservation of the building within the budget.

The work was informed by the architect’s conservation plan.
Accretions unworthy of retention were removed.
Buttresses were underpinned and re-built, stonework repaired, cleaned and selectively re-pointed.
Defective roofs were re-slated. The entrance door was carved from oak, based on a pencil sketch of the original. A wooden faux stone mullioned window above the entrance was restored.

The school contains the council chamber and offices whilst a new lightweight extension houses the reception office.

The landscaping comprises a lawn to the front and semi-circular courtyard to the rear.

Next Project