Naas Courthouse

Naas Courthouse
Naas, Co. Kildare
Project Value

Deaton Lysaght Architects were tasked with restoring and re-modelling the original building of Naas Courthouse, and providing office accommodation and other facilities.  Naas Courthouse was originally designed by Sir Richard Morrison in 1807, and was later extended by John McCurdy in 1869.  Morrison's entrance portico was set well back from the street between the projecting gables of the two courtrooms, but the present layout dates from the 1860s when the entrance hall was extended outwards, and two-storey extensions were constructed on each side, the portico being relocated on the new façade.

The building had been badly extended at the rear, and had also been damaged by fire in the 1960s when a number of modern alterations were made to the building.

DLA started with the removal of the rear annexes, and construction of a new 2 storey extension over car-park level to provide offices.  The extension is separated from the original building by a first-floor courtyard accessible to staff only.  The courtrooms were extensively remodelled to provide disabled access and install modern technology.  The suspended ceilings installed in the 1960s were replaced by specially-designed coffered ceilings which enabled the re-use of the lantern lights, and brought natural daylight into the courtrooms.

Next Project